Find Out More

Household Hazardous Waste Program

Household Hazardous Waste Has Its Place... And it's not inside any Livermore Sanitation collection bin.

Hazardous waste can't be thrown out with the garbage, recycling or organics. Before you toss it, check the label. If it's marked Danger, Warning, Poisonous, or Flammable, it's probably toxic.

You'll have to take toxic items to Alameda County's local household hazardous waste collection facility. Take advantage of the county's fee drop-off program. Visit for information.

The County accepts the following:

  • Pesticides
  • Automotive batteries and fluids
  • Fertilizers
  • Pool chemicals
  • Photo chemicals
  • Paint/varnish
  • Toxic cleaning products
  • Mercury-containing items (thermometers & fluorescent lamps for example)
  • Medications
  • Sharps/Needles (must be properly contained)

Livermore Sanitation does offer curbside pickup for motor oil, household batteries, and cell phones. Please review the handling instructions below:

  • Motor oil should be contained in 1-gallon jugs that are clearly marked and tightly sealed. You can contact us to arrange for free delivery of oil jugs & filter bags. We’ll collect 2 jugs per household each week and will leave a replacement jug and filter bag behind. Please place your oil/filter next to (NOT INSIDE) your recycling cart for collection.
  • Household batteries should be placed inside a clear zipper-locked bag and placed on top of your blue cart on collection day. We'll collect alkaline and pile lithium batteries including A, AA, AAA, C, D, 6-volt, 9-volt, rechargeable, camera, watch, hearing aid, calculator and similar. Please put a piece of tape over the positive terminal on all batteries before placing in a bag.
  • Cell phones should also be placed inside a clear zipper-locked bag and placed on top of your blue cart on collection day. Do not bag batteries and cell phones together.

E-Waste Disposal Options

Electronics need special handling. You can properly dispose of a limited amount of e-waste through the Cleanup program or by requesting a special collection. You may also wish to visit California Department of Resources Recycling (CalRecycle) for a list of certified e-waste collectors.